Use proof of service for alternate service for your child support collection when you have received permission from the court and have served the parent through alternate means such as via the newspaper, email, text and social media. This last step must occur before you can move on to whatever lies next in your strategy.  This step proves to the court that you have done everything that you can to serve the other parent personally and that you have now served him publicly in some way.  It paves the way for your next enforcement motion.

Here are the steps:

  1. Download the Proof of Service for Alternate Service Document
  2. Complete the document and consider viewing the sample document in our Sample Letters/Forms/Language section
  3. If you served via the newspaper, you will obtain a copy of their proof of service by calling them and requesting it.
  4. Make 2 copies of both the proof of service from the newspaper and the proof of service document you have downloaded from the Document Library
  5. If you did not serve via the newspaper, you will only need the Proof of Service Document from the Document Library
  6. Return this document (or these two documents) to the County Clerk’s office.  You can do this by mail or in person.  I recommend that you do it in person and get proof of your “return” from the clerk’s office. Otherwise, you can mail it by both regular mail and certified mail with a return receipt so that you can prove who signed for it, if you need to.  If you deliver your return personally, you will have to take time out of your schedule and if you mail it, you will have to pay a fee of about $6.00 for the certified return receipt. It’s your choice.
  7. There is usually a waiting period of about 30 days in order to give the other parent a chance to respond to your summons and complaint.  You can use the 30 days to relax, rejuvenate and prepare yourself for the next step which will be answering if he responds or filing the next step in your enforcement motion.